Saturday, November 25, 2006

Sharing

David's mother went to the hospital with chest pains this week. After some preliminary testing, it appears that she did not have a heart attack but did have enough irregularity that more invasive testing will be done this coming week. David is flying down tomorrow morning to spend time with his parents, see his mother through the procedures, and take care of his father.

He needs knitting.

Not only that. He needs a new project.

Lace.

We are scared and fearful about his mother's situation.

We are also both aware that this situation has proven that David is now not just a knitter but a Knitter.

Finishing his first pair of socks down to the kitchenering, finishing all the parts of the sweater he is knitting for Son, and coming very close to the bind off for a Harlot scarf, David has no portable project to take with him. Although he has a ball of sock yarn in his own one-skein stash, socks just don't require enough thought to provide the support he needs from his knitting right now.

I took him to my own stash. I offered him the most beautiful thing I could: the 100% silk yarn I bought at Rhinebeck.

He learned to do the first lace stitch I ever learned--feather and fan--and started a beautiful scarf. I told him that if I could not knit with the silk, I would get to wear it.

But I know this scarf should really belong to his mother.

May all go well.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feather and Fan is the perfect pattern. Just involved enough to keep one's attention, but not so complicated that it can't be put aside when needed. And it will be lovely in silk.

Will be thinking positive thoughts for David's mother and for the both of you.

jasmine said...

I hope everything goes well and just remember there is always more yarn

Birdsong said...

I agree with Anne - Feather and Fan is both easy and engrossing, and will help pass the hospital waiting time... which is so hard. I will be keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers and hoping all goes well.

Mouse said...

I'll light a candle for your mother in law .. and hope that all goes well.

Deborah said...

what a sweet and melancholy ...

Leslie Shelor said...

I'll be stitching prayers along with both of you!

TheAmpuT said...

You gave me the advice of lace for me, too...and you are right. It is a miracle in times like these.

I'm sorry for the news, and am holding good thoughts for your family.

Kirsten said...

I hope everything goes well with David's mother.
It must be pretty neat to have another Knitter in the house! I'm looking forward to seeing his first lace.

Theresa said...

I agree - Feather and Fan is perfect for the situation. And knitting is perfect for hospitals. It takes just the right amount of attention. I hope all goes well for your family.

beadlizard said...

Best of luck -- they can do amazing things for hearts now. Hoping it turns out to be something eaily managed!!! --Syl

CygKnit said...

I have knit Feather and Fan in the hospital, too. I hope it gives him the peace it gave me. Simple and beautiful will help him during this time, I hope. You are all in our thoughts.

NeedleTart said...

Wishing David's mother the best of luck and you the best of knitting (enough challenge to keep you going and good results at the end).

Lolly said...

I will be thinking about you all - best wishes for D's mother.

Anonymous said...

Wishing all the best for all of you. It's scary, I know.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails