Sunday, November 05, 2006

A month in which to do something or other

I was moved by Stuntmother's gorgeous post detailing the reason she cast herself into Nanowrimo. While writing a novel in one month does seem to be a life-affirming endeavor, November is not the month for me to try.

Instead, November is the month to turn in the final draft of my long-ago started book.

Which took me more than five years longer than one month to write, and I had a co-writer to help me out on top of it. But we are not going to think about how long this project has been part of my life.

And the book just got blogged about. How amazing. (Thanks, Sara, for the link!)

I've decided to do the still-be-a-part-of-the-fun Nablopomo. You'll be hearing from me a lot this month.



And then I ran across Nakniswemo and knew this was what I really need this month:



On the needles: the back of the castle sweater. The sleeves are already finished. And after I bind off the shoulders, the fun part still awaits! (Isn't this a clever strategy? Thanks, Amy!)

I do wish my writing progressed as nicely as my knitting does. Even when I have to frog the whole damn thing, it is much easier when knitting than when writing. And honestly, more people appreciate the gifts I knit than read my first book.

7 comments:

Kate A. said...

Boy, do I hear you! I'm having a bad writing month myself...the kind that may eventually be worth it in that it should result in a finished chapter, but at this stage it's still bad, bad, bad. Knitting is so immensely satisfying at every stage - planning, process, maybe not finishing so much as admiring the finished work, and giving away to be appreciated by others! When you compare the two directly, writing (at least the kind of writing we do) can't remotely compare...hmm!

Leslie Shelor said...

The book sounds Awesome; what a challenge to write it! Looking forward to reading it, and the 'happy' next one!

TheAmpuT said...

I finally was a good clicker and read about your writing, and wow...how incredibly interesting.

hege said...

Congratulations on turning it in! What an amazing story that is, and how incredibly sad. A story that deserves to be told!

Shannon said...

My goal in life is to get my digital voice recorder and transcription software running properly by NEXT November -- then I can "write" and knit at the same time!

Stuntmother said...

Would you believe I was momentarily tempted by NaKniSweMo? Then I realised that that really was insanity and that something had to give. THis month, the knitting is having to take a back seat. Which is a pity since what I really want to do on any given evening is watch movies and knit. Not write. I'm not all that good at night.

(Thank you for the very nice things you said though. That made me feel all warm and happy.)

EGJ said...

So many things to do in November... I have actually been doing NaNoWriMo since 2004, but I've still never managed to get beyond the first 10,000 words. So my goal this year is 25,000, even if it's "supposed" to be 50,000. I also have a full-time job, trips to Stockholm and Edinburgh, birthdays to attend - and a sweater on the needles.

Your book really seems to have been worth the effort - five years is not bad considering all the research you must have put into it. And besides, I usually work according to the motto that if I have produced one perfect poem before I die (like Bishop's 'One Art' or, of course, Poe's 'The Raven'), I shall be very well pleased. Or maybe Andrew Marvell's 'To His Coy Mistress' is the perfect example of a one-hit wonder in the world of poetry...

Best of luck with your November endeavours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails