Monday, November 13, 2006

No Beans

Pee Wee said, "I'm not eating green beans.... I'm not eating any beans."
...

"As there are only a limited number of beans in the house, should they not go to the bean lovers as opposed to the bean haters?" [asked Aunt Sally.]
...

"Aunt Sally...was using two beans as knitting needles, knit knit knit, nibble nibble nibble."


...

"We need beans. We need many beans, now," said Amanda, who wanted to knit and nibble.

"You are the strangest children I ever saw," said Aunt Sally, lifting her head to look at them. "If you wanted beans, why did you give me yours? There aren't any more beans. Your mother left only that one bag. How about some ice cream instead?"

"Can't we go to the grocery store? We have time before bedtime," said Amanda....

"I can't stand it. I don't know if I can sleep tonight," said Amanda, her fingers still itching for the feel of a long thin bean.

"Can you please, please shop for more beans tomorrow?" asked Melissa....

"Gosh, I feel like such a beast, eating all those beans myself," said Aunt Sally. "And on your mother's very thorough timetable it suggests we have broccoli tomorrow." ...

"You can't knit with broccoli," said Amanda.


Quotes from Polly Horvath's The Trolls.

In the same book, the author writes this brilliant line, right after the girls ask their aunt to lock the doors to keep the trolls out:

"But don't worry, the trolls don't come to you. It's your own darkness that leads you to the trolls."

12 comments:

Stuntmother said...

I think I need to read this book. And thanks for that photo which completely made my night.

Knit knit nibble nibble

Mouse said...

Beaneedles! How fabulous.

Lazuli said...

That's too funny. Knitting with beans! I love it. Looking further down... good luck with your book! And wow, you have a talented son!

Amy O'Neill Houck said...

I love the photo, that's awesome!

CygKnit said...

Of course! Beans! Why didn't I think of that?

One thing I love is a good quote that references both knitting and green beans.

NeedleTart said...

Hmmmm....you can't knit with broccoli, but could you knit with uncooked pasta? How about using cooked spaghetti? Must go check out plans for dinner......

rebecca said...

I'm curious. Could you SIZE those beans for us. I am worried about the guage!

Kate A. said...

What a wonderful photo! I'm totally saving that and putting it on my desktop or something...

To think of all the years (the same years when I was first learning to knit) when I was in charge of breaking the beans for Sunday dinner, and it never occured to me to just put yarn on the beans instead! Silly me.

Anonymous said...

Oh oh oh! Do I get to be first to say it?

"Cool beans!"

Chris said...

I'll never look at green beans the same way again! Hmm, wonder if I can get the gauge I need...

Kirsten said...

Such fun! The photo is brilliant!

JulieFrick said...

Ha! I read that book before the knitmania really took over. So glad you brought it back to my attention!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails