Sunday, November 12, 2006

Comments from the Playground

7yo, newly obsessed with secret clubs and passwords, mysteries and spies, informs his 5yo friend that the get past the guards in front of the bush house they created together, all who would dare enter must provide the password.

5yo, recently obsessed with laws, justice, and inclusion: "That is against the law! This is a public park. We can't have passwords. All children have the right to play here. You can't break the law! Everybody has rights!"

7yo, intending to give any child who wanted to play the password, not to exclude anyone but just to play this new game, tried to reassure 5yo. But then he went right back to the password idea. "Do you promise to tell no one the password?"

5yo: "Well, I have to tell my mother and father because I tell them everything and it would be like lying if I kept it from them."

7yo, now frustrated: "Fine!"

5yo: "So what is the password?"

7yo: "Password."

5yo: "What IS it?"

7yo: "The password is PASSWORD! No one will guess THAT."

Aaargh...


I am the mother of the 7yo--but two years ago, my son would have made the same comments the 5yo did. Are these just developmental stages?


* * *

Speaking of comments:

Yesterday Sheepish Annie wrote in the comments that she was not talented enough to be a writer. Don't believe her. Her marvelous blog is a cross between the Yarn Harlot and The Panopticon. Go check it out!

2 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

You're too sweet! My natural tendency is to protest all over the place in the face of a compliment, but I'm working on that. So I'm saying, "thank you!"

And those are actually some fairly common stages of development in the "moral" journey that children take as they try to figure out the way the world works. There is a pretty strong sense of "justice" with the little ones and they can be quite black and white about it! I have been reprimanded by many a kindergartener in my career! :)

Anonymous said...

It stikes me that we just had the opportunity to hear our son talking with a five-year old version of himself.

For me, one of the joys of parenting has been watching Son grow and the great challenge has been becoming aware of his developmental stage and responding according to his needs. Of course, it seems as soon as I think I understand where he is and get comfortable being there for him, he goes ahead and grows a bit more.

In partnership -- The Tell-Tale Heart

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails