Pork Chops with Sauerkraut and Applesauce, served with mashed potatoes:

The pork chops and sauerkraut are from the farm linked above. The potatoes and applesauce are from Twin Springs, a few miles to the west of Gettysburg, Pa.
* * *
As we were cooking the meal (which was absolutely delicious), I kept thinking we really needed a side of green beans. But nothing green is fresh around here this time of year. We didn't prepare well enough to have our freezer stuffed with veggies--but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the mix of vitamins from the cabbages, apples, and potatoes would probably hold us through.
* * *
Pork Chops with Sauerkraut and Apples
Pork chops
Salt and pepper
Sauerkraut
Applesauce
Season chops with salt and pepper, then brown them in a little olive oil. Put them in a baking dish and cover with sauerkraut first and then applesauce. Sprinkle with a little bit of water (maybe a quarter cup?). Cover and bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour. Serve with mashed potatoes.
* * *
Next time we make it, I think I might add some sauteed onions and garlic as well as some sauteed chopped apple.
6 comments:
Oh, you are making feel very hungry.
Your eating locally posts inspire me to think a little bit more about what I eat.
To the extent that I actually attempt to cook good food for myself. Thanks!
But did you pronounce it, "Pork chaaps, and appleshaash. That's shwell." Heh heh.
:)
(here via Blog 365)
LostC: That is exactly how my partner David pronounced it!
Twin Springs comes to my work each week! :) They have great apples - I made applesauce over the holidays. Yum!
When I lived in Manhattan, my favorite store was an Amish fruit and vegetable stand. My, what AMAZING produce they had! Also, amazing cheese and preserves. Wow. I miss that place!
I don't eat meat, but that combo of sauerkraut and applesauce sounds very interesting - I wonder if there's anything I can apply that to in my cooking...
What about replacing the pork chops with rectangles of tempeh? Think we may have to try this....
Post a Comment