Monday, January 07, 2008

Eating Local in January

One of our main sources for local food is an Amish Farm in Pennsylvania. In honor of the Amish who have sustained local agriculture in the area when so many others have gone corporate, we dedicate this meal:

Pork Chops with Sauerkraut and Applesauce, served with mashed potatoes:



The pork chops and sauerkraut are from the farm linked above. The potatoes and applesauce are from Twin Springs, a few miles to the west of Gettysburg, Pa.

* * *

As we were cooking the meal (which was absolutely delicious), I kept thinking we really needed a side of green beans. But nothing green is fresh around here this time of year. We didn't prepare well enough to have our freezer stuffed with veggies--but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the mix of vitamins from the cabbages, apples, and potatoes would probably hold us through.

* * *

Pork Chops with Sauerkraut and Apples

Pork chops
Salt and pepper
Sauerkraut
Applesauce

Season chops with salt and pepper, then brown them in a little olive oil. Put them in a baking dish and cover with sauerkraut first and then applesauce. Sprinkle with a little bit of water (maybe a quarter cup?). Cover and bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour. Serve with mashed potatoes.

* * *

Next time we make it, I think I might add some sauteed onions and garlic as well as some sauteed chopped apple.

6 comments:

Misstea said...

Oh, you are making feel very hungry.

Your eating locally posts inspire me to think a little bit more about what I eat.

To the extent that I actually attempt to cook good food for myself. Thanks!

Lostcheerio said...

But did you pronounce it, "Pork chaaps, and appleshaash. That's shwell." Heh heh.

:)

(here via Blog 365)

The Purloined Letter said...

LostC: That is exactly how my partner David pronounced it!

Woolarina said...

Twin Springs comes to my work each week! :) They have great apples - I made applesauce over the holidays. Yum!

Melinda said...

When I lived in Manhattan, my favorite store was an Amish fruit and vegetable stand. My, what AMAZING produce they had! Also, amazing cheese and preserves. Wow. I miss that place!

I don't eat meat, but that combo of sauerkraut and applesauce sounds very interesting - I wonder if there's anything I can apply that to in my cooking...

The Purloined Letter said...

What about replacing the pork chops with rectangles of tempeh? Think we may have to try this....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails