Thursday, January 24, 2008

Midsummer

Here we are in South Florida, slogging through steamy wet days, and seeing on the television that the rest of the nation is in a deep-freeze. Here in the land of Eternal Summer, it is hard to believe. Perhaps because I grew up in a relatively warm place, cold weather enchants me--but only up to a point. This has been a lovely respite, but I'm ready to head back to the frozen tundra of DC.

* * *

Son just learned through email that he received the part of Lysander in Midsummer Night's Dream. He is crushed, although many actors would be thrilled. The part is large and the character has a lot of really great lines--perfect for hamming up. But my 8yo is absolutely disgusted with the idea of playing a lover.

As is common in Shakespeare plays, there is a "play within the play." In that one, a young male character is assigned a part and responds, his voice full of hope, something along the lines of "What part is Thisbe? Is that a wandering knight?" The director responds that it is a young female, and the actor is highly disappointed.

I suspect that my own young actor would find the part of a woman vastly preferable to the part of a lover!

2 comments:

Carrie K said...

Ptooey. Love. Poor boy. But that's what actings all about, the stretch. I'm sure your 8 year old gets that. ;0

Sheepish Annie said...

Poor Son...but what 8yo really wants to play a lover? I can see his point on that one!

I do envy you the warmer weather even though you are ready to head back to hearth and home. Things up here are rather chilly. :(

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails