Friday, October 06, 2006

Showing the Knits a Good Time

Last night my stagnating Adamas shawl, Son's homespun scarf on handmade needles (he did all the making), and David's coming-along-beautifully Irish Hiking Scarf all had the great pleasure of meeting a new knit: a lively sock on a great set of needles.



The needles were in the capable hands of none other than Sara, in the area for a conference and kind enough to come up to Takoma Park for a little yarn shopping at Now & Then and dinner at Middle Eastern Cuisine. (Try the okra dish!)

Sara and I knew we had a lot in common even before she arrived--but we just kept discovering more. Her post today has a great list of some of them (including a link to my book).

Thanks for the great evening, Sara!

* * *

And, in spinning news, I made my first cabled yarn.

After spinning up the extra bit of beautiful peachy fiber that Mama-E sent...



...I decided to ply it with some of the singles spun up from Moth Heaven's contribution to my fiber stash.



And then I plied the two double-plies together in the opposite direction, creating this lovely subtly-tweedy cabled yarn:



What I should make? Any suggestions?

8 comments:

Leslie Shelor said...

Wow, that yarn is beautiful! Don't know what you should make, but whatever it is will be stunning!

Wish I could go to Montpelier this weekend; I'll miss being there. But every other weekend this month is filled with something, and no babysitter for the store and critters for this one! Have a great time!

Liz K. said...

Your yarn is beautiful. It says simple mittens to me.

Julia said...

Tea cozy! You could enjoy it every morning that way (assuming you are a tea drinker).

Sheepish Annie said...

Oh, what pretty yarn! I'm seeing mittens. Maybe a hat...but I'm really thinkin' mittens!

Birdsong said...

I am impressed... not sure I even understand what cabled yarn IS. Do you have plans for this lovely colored yarn? Some of my projects have been stagnating a bit too....

Jeanne said...

The cabled yarn is beautiful - great colors. How about fingerless gloves?

Specs said...

I'm seeing vests everywhere (possibly because I want one but don't have the time to make one). How much yarn do you have? It would make a great hip-yet-classic vest.

EGJ said...

Wonderful yarn - so autumnal. It makes me think of maple leaves in particular. I wouldn't have any idea what to make of it though - a hat perhaps?

Oh, your book seems fascinating (read the excerpt from the 7th chapter there). Too little is done in Disability studies at Swedish unis, I'm afraid. But it is starting to gain followers at certain History departments...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails