Monday, October 23, 2006

Rhinebeck

I had the very great pleasure to go with Martha and Amy and our children to Rhinebeck this weekend!

You should have seen the trunk coming home, full of all of our purchases. Here is some of my haul:

A skein of gorgeous bombyx silk yarn from Ellen's Half Pint Farm in Norwich, VT:


A luscious cashmere lacy scarf kit from Rabbit Tree Farm in Saxonburg, PA:


Beautifully dyed silk roving in the colorway Turkish Carpet from Stony Mountain Fibers in Charlottesville, VA:



* * *

In addition to wonderful yarn and fiber at the vendors' booths, beautiful autumn leaves, and amazingly crafted garments on all the shoppers, there were bloggers everywhere!

Stitchy McYarnpants came up with a fantastic icebreaker game to get us to introduce ourselves. Cara from January One, pictured below wearing her Seraphim shawl and cute socks, assisted us in finding each other by hosting a get-together on Saturday.



I looked at another woman's shawl and thought how much it looked like Stephanie's. Isn't it beautiful?



OMG! It IS Stephanie's!



Son seemed a little leery when he met his first Harlot.

But he was very excited to meet Adrian from Hello Yarn. She incredulously asked, "YOU know who I am?" He proudly answered that both his mother and his father knit the Irish Hiking Scarf. (Pictures of Papa's finished scarf coming soon!)



There were so many bloggers there that I had the chance to meet. What a pleasure it was!


* * *


Sitting between a 7yo knitting boy (Son) and a 6yo knitting girl (Amy's daughter), the 12yo non-knitter (son of as-of-yet-blogless Martha) did not stand a chance. On Saturday morning the younger kids taught him the very basics on my slippery Addis and some of Amy's spare yarn. When we reached the festival, his mother bought him yarn and wooden needles. The boy really got bit by the knitting bug--and was knitting when I put my head down at night and already knitting again by the time I hopped out of the shower the next morning! (A convert! Yippee!)

By the end of the ride home, he had knitted a lovely rectangle of Lamb's Pride in a vivid blue--yarn destined to be a scarf for his father. Although the younger children did not have his stamina, they too enjoyed knitting in the back seat while the grownups knit in front of them.

At some point, Son came up with a game which, as he said, involved both cards and knitting.

REALLY?

Here's how to play:
Deal one card. If it is a number card, knit that number of stitches. If it is a face card, increase 1 per level so jacks are 11, queens are 12, and kings are 13. If you get an ace, you may choose to knit 1 stitch or 14.

The first one to finish a sweater wins.

We played cooperatively, so all of us knit every time a card was flipped. I recommend this strategy to allow for more continuous knitting, especially if you are playing with a lot of new knitters and/or are sober.

* * *

10 comments:

Kate A. said...

I loved the picture of Stephanie with your son! And the story of the new convert...and the card game...converting the young is just such a beautiful thing.

Sheepish Annie said...

Sounds like a wonderful time!

NeedleTart said...

I was trying to figure out what a 7 yarn over boy is......never mind!

Kirsten said...

I like your son's game! It is wonderful to hear of all of those children knitting! That last photo is adorable!

EGJ said...

Sounds like so much fun! I am quite jealous. Also love the card game - now to invent knitting chess...

Adrian said...

It was a pleasure meeting both of you. PLease let your son know he's the coolest kid I've met!

Lolly said...

That is so cute about your son meeting Adrian ;) and you made me laugh with "his first Harlot" comment!

Wonderful overview. I hope to make it up there one of these years!

Specs said...

Looks like a blast! Although that goat's eyes are terrifying.

CygKnit said...

I am so glad to have met you, even if it was for the barest of moments at the meet-up. I didn't get a chance to meet your son, but he seems like quite a kid :)

Also, can I tell my husband that yours knits? He thinks other husbands don't, and I like him to know he's not alone!

mamacate said...

I'm so bummed I missed you! Next year you won't get away so easily....;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails