Thursday, October 12, 2006

Saturday's Sky...



...at the Virginia Fall Fiber Festival was not nearly as interesting as Saturday's mud:





* * *

Somehow, the weather and the mud just added to the atmosphere of the sheep dog trials.

Rodney and his owner stood by the sidelines watching his pals...


...including Brie, who could not keep her sheep from going to say hello to the nearby toddler...


...and the beautifully-named Koigu (did I hear right or was that just wishful thinking?) lackadaisically separating her sheep pals from each other with a lot of help from her human assistant.


* * *

And of course a little mud did not stop the shopping. In addition to picking up several small bags of interesting spinning fiber (silk hankies, alpaca, llama, kid mohair, cormo), I also got a hank of pale gray sport-weight alpaca yarn for a soft scarf.

First on the needles, though, is champagne-colored lace-weight 100% tussah silk I picked up. Tomorrow evening on my long flight, I plan to cast on the Swallowtail Shawl from the fall issue of Interweave Knits. (Lace shawls keep pushing this month's socks aside, I am afraid!) This will be a holiday present for a very special woman in my life. Hope she will like it!

5 comments:

Kathleen C. said...

I'm working on Swallowtail right now. It seems very straight forward to this, admittedly, novice lace knitter.
I'll be very interested in watch your version grow. You know lace... Adamus is lovely.
And how did I not realize there was a fiber festival this past weekend? I must have read about it and just forgot. Drats! Glad you had a good time and hope it went well for the organizers.

Kirsten said...

That photo of Rodney and his owner is adorable. The fiber festival looks like it was a lot of fun, mud and all.

gwtreece said...

Mud and it, I know it was fun.

hillary said...

The fiber festival was great fun even in the mud. I thought I saw a family there with a boy who looked like your son (admiring fiber) but I wasn't sure if that was you or not and I was feeling like a dork so I said nothing.

Anonymous said...

Hehehe The Mud was absolutely the best part. We'll definitely have to meet up at the next event.

I think it's awesome that we both grabbed the silk for the Swallowtail shawl. I think I'll be casting on for mine soon, and I can't wait to see how yours works up.

By the way, ifyou get the Cormo roving from Stony Mountain Fibers, be careful with it. I got 8 oz last time I went to her shop and every time I spin with it I get so distracted by it's soft fluffiness that I end up making no progress at all. It'll get ya that way!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails