Friday, October 13, 2006

K1, R1 (Knit One, Read One): A Good Yarn

In Debbie Macomber's A Good Yarn, Lydia, the owner of a cozy local yarn store, teaches how to knit socks.

Lydia, a cancer survivor, is joined by her sister and three other women who all struggle with their own problems. One, recently left by her husband, struggles to come to terms with the requirements of the new world she inhabits. Another, long ago divorced, shares living space with her ex and contemplates rekindling their relationship. The third, a depressed teenager, attempts to make a new life in Seattle where she is living with her grandmother. Lydia herself tries to understand her boyfriend's newfound connection to his ex-wife. Her sister, uncomfortable relying on Lydia, struggles with her own homelife. While these women are unlikely friends, knitting links them together. They support each other through hard times and help each other come through the difficulties to successful resolutions.

This book is not fine litereature. The characters are stereotypical and stock, the resolution to complex problems is simplistic, and the writing is clear but prosaic. My biggest complaint? Lydia acts like her method of knitting socks on two circulars is the magic trick that makes knitting socks bearable, as opposed to using DPNs!

Complaints aside, the book is sweet--and about knitting. I hear Nancy Bush was even involved in putting together the pattern used in the book. One reviewer asked, "Who knew that knitting socks could change your life?" This book won't change your life, but you can spend a cozy evening listening to the audiobook of this fairytale and knitting your own socks!

4 comments:

NeedleTart said...

I found this book to be kind of like good mohair. Warm, fuzzy, not too much weight. That said, there are lots of days I don't want a deep, philosophical tome. While I was reading this (book, not audio) I really wanted to go back to Seattle and find *this* shop!

gwtreece said...

I agree. I did enjoy it. Sometimes you just need a book that isn't deep.

EGJ said...

I'm quite intrigued by Nancy Bush's alleged involvement in creating the pattern used in the book. I haven't read it (or even heard of it before), but as I read anything that falls into my hands I might get around to it. I do love knitting and listening to audiobooks...

Sheepish Annie said...

This is one of those books that I would never have purchased, but I won a copy in a comment contest over at BoogaJ and found it to be just right for a rainy, low motivation afternoon. Sometimes you just need a happy ending.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails