Sunday, August 13, 2006

Dreaming Dreams



Having trouble with the lace edging of Pi, I consult my oracle, author of "The Purloined Letter," Edgar Allen Poe. I show him my problem and ask his advice.



Poe takes Pi, pulls out his knitting bag, puts knitting needles in his hand, and quickly fixes my mistake.



Note his cool "Man at Work" tote bag:



After he puts the stitches to rights, I ask him if he would be so kind as to drape the shawl around his shoulders and allow me to take his picture for the Amazing Lace contest. He does--



--but then pulls out his pattern bookto show me the proper pose for the Pi Shawl, as shown by Norman Kennedy's mother:





P.S. For those of you who have followed the interconnected stories of Pi and my father's health (see 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5), I am pleased to report that after an extremely bad response to chemo and other drugs, his medications were adjusted and he is significantly stronger. Just as I approach the end of Pi, he approaches the end of his course of radiation. Thanks to all of you who have offered him your best wishes and me so much support and kindness.

14 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

Deep down, I think I always knew that Edgar A. was a knitter. He always had that "haunted" look about him. Great news about your Dad. Must be such a relief!

Jennifer said...

Wow...I'm a huge fan. Both of the shawl, and of Poe. I'm jealous that your knitting got to "meet" him! Wonderful news about your father, and hope nothing but the best for the future!

Amy O'Neill Houck said...

I'm glad to hear about your dad--hope to see you Tuesday at Adega!

Kirsten said...

Perfect! That Amazing Lace entry is a winner in my book!
I am so glad to hear your dad is doing better.

xmasberry said...

So glad to hear your dad is doing better. Very interesting about how the timing of finishing Pi worked out. It is lovely.

Shanti said...

I'm glad to hear youd dad is doing better. i'll keep him in my thoughts - and I'm glad the treatment is coming to an end. Those are always hard.

Love Pi - it's beautiful!

Specs said...

Pi is beautiful! And that is wonderful news about your father.

Lolly said...

Love this photo session with Poe! So, this was up in B'more? I can't believe I haven't been up there yet, as I am a Poe fan too! :)

Wonderful news on your father's health!

Tricotine said...

I just LOVE your photos! I am definitely going to vote for you and Edgar! :)

Isabelle aka Tricotine

Windy said...

This is such a great post and priceless pictures! Great news on your dad too. I enjoy your blog so much.

Caroline said...

I've just started reading your blog, and I've come to two concllusions. You are very creative....and you had to have been an English major. Am I right:)

--Deb said...

Who knew that Poe was so knowledgeable about knitting?

EGJ said...

Poe and knitting! Priceless! Now a pastiche on "The Philosophy of Composition" done as a meditation on knitting rather than poetry composition (although it could of course be both), would be really something... (For some reason that essay always crops up as a reference in most of my writings, but then as I usually write about dead girls - it's not that great a surprise...)

Anyway, just stopped by on my way around the Academics Knit-ring, and thought I'd drop a line to say hello.

RandomRanter said...

I learn more about Mr. Poe every day. Awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails