Sunday, April 09, 2006

Two of a Kind

I returned home from the conference late last night with two socks on the needles, one knit to the start of the heel and the other to the decreases after the gusset. (I started the first one and knit to the heel, then switched to the other. I knit the heel and picked up the gusset stitches on the plane.) I love the color pattern emerging from the yarn.

Most of the conference felt like a waste of time to me. As I got angry about yet another stupid "leadership training" game with tent poles or popsicle sticks or molding clay, I knit all the faster. By the end I felt like Madam Defarge.

There was another sock knitter in our small group--a woman who works in a knitting store in Pittsburgh and was knitting Tolstoy socks, one inside the other. Very cool! The name comes from a passage in War and Peace: "Anna Makarovna has finished her stocking," said Countess Marya.... They meant two stockings, which, by a secret known only to her, Anna Makarovna used to knit on her needles simultaneously. When the pair was finished, she always made a solemn ceremony of pulling one stocking out of the other in the presence of the children."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails