Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Saving the Earth...

...one bag at a time.

In honor of Simple Living's "Bring Your Own Bag May" and originally inspired by More Hip than Hippie's plastic bag challenge, we came up with a variation.





Our son decorated an old coffee can and we put in a dollar every time we use a disposable bag (plastic or paper) instead of one of our reusable ones. At the end of the year, we'll donate these fines to one of our favorite environmental organizations.

* * *

You wonder what our first screw-up will be? Um..., you know us. YARN. The cashier put our skeins of Paton's Classic Wool in a plastic bag and we were carrying it out before we realized it.

This yarn will become a Knitty Satchel for David's brother.



* * *

When we get in the habit of always using our reusable bags, we'll start fining ourselves every time we forget to use our reusable coffee mugs!

5 comments:

Liz K. said...

I have been trying to reduce my usage lately. I recently stopped using paper napkins and have drastically reduced paper towel usage (and I buy 100% recycled paper towels).

My next step is to reduce the bag waste. I have been making sure I recycle the bags I do get, and use the reusable ones as much as I can remember. It's hard to get going on a new habit, though.

Mouse said...

Here in Georgia you can walk out of the grocery store with 5 items and 8 bags.. I've never understood why everyone here feels the need to create more waste. I have a collection of these great canvas bags with long shoulder straps that I take to the grocery store. The baggers HATE them and let me know on a weekly basis. They also still try to put things in plastic bags to "separate" my groceries..

Sheepish Annie said...

What a great idea! I go through plastic bags like crazy and don't even know why I'm using them. A little jar might just make a good reminder.

Emily said...

I have also been trying not to use disposable bags recently. Last night, however, I found myself at the market without my usual grocery tote. Fortunately, I carry a big purse!

Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

That's a really great idea. I've cut my plastic bag useage by about 80%, and the ones I do end up with usually get recycled as kitchen garbage bags. I bought my reuseable bags from the grocery story, but I really could use more. Might finally dust off my sewing machine and make some. And reduce my fabric stash at the same time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails