Thursday, May 24, 2007

Eating Local

Inspired by the bounty of shining produce at the farmer's market, we had our first strictly-all-local meal of the season.



The recipe for the Mushroom Asparagus Bread Pudding is originally from Deborah Madison's Local Flavors: Cooking and Eating from America's Farmers' Markets, reprinted in Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, and available free at Kingsolver's website.

We served the dish with swiss chard sauteed in a bit of butter with land cress (spicy) and sorrel (sour). We also enjoyed some sweet, cool summery wine from a local vineyard. The only non-local ingredients we used for this meal were salt and pepper.

For more about eating local, see the inspiring blog Pocket Farm, the 100 Mile Diet, Mulch, and the Eat Local Challenge. Other favorites include Farmgirl Fare, Life Begins at 30, Jennifer Jeffrey's blog (a new find), I Heart Farms, and Slowly She Turned. Anybody else have some favorite local food blogs?

4 comments:

queen of rust said...

Came to see your gorgeous shawl (via the Knitty Coffeeshop). It's breathtaking!

I am thrilled to hear all about the local farm movement in Maryland. I run the 100 Mile Diet challenge for Vancouver Island in BC. I have a website (http://100miledietnanaimo.com), a personal blog (http://rustycoast.blogspot.com) and a 100 mile fiber blog (http://www.100milefiberfest.blogspot.com) that takes the 100 mile diet idea and applies it to all things fiber. I'm hoping to get others to start using locally grown fibers and to share their stories and photos of their 100 mile fiber projects. I would love to see what sort of beautiful 100 mile fiber project you come up with!

cheers!
Jen

Michelle said...

I saw a show on TV last night that talked about eating local it was very interesting. Can't remember the name of it though. Also they discussed plastic recycling that this one manufacturer is doing starting with #5 plastics (yogurt cups) - it was really neat. I think I may have to try the eating local challenge.

Sheepish Annie said...

That looks so yummy! Sadly, I'm feeling rather poorly these days and there isn't much in the food department that is appealing to me right now.

I really like Geraldine's blog (veggies, crafts and tales) though. She does some wonderful vegetarian recipes and it a real sweetheart, to boot!

Jennifer Jeffrey said...

Your meal looks wonderful! The recipes in BK's book are all so approachable ~ I'm planning to make some of them, too.

Thanks for mentioning my blog! Wish I had a fraction of your skill with the knitting needles...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails