Monday, April 30, 2007

Scotland County

Last weekend we visited my beautiful hometown, Laurinburg, NC. Although my parents are natives of Myrtle Beach SC and live there again now, I have always considered Laurinburg, where we lived for fifteen years, as my real home.

David, Son, and I drove down to meet my father, who came up from SC to celebrate the inauguration of one of his former students as president of St. Andrews college.

Son was thrilled to be on the beautiful campus...



St. Andrews, in addition to being a real home to Scottish culture in America, has since its founding believed in both full access for students with disabilities and in an academic approach far more interdisciplinary than most universities provide. You can even minor in Bagpipes!

The inaugural ceremony began when the pipe band and the faculty and guests marched across the lake:







Son paused to greet his granddaddy in his cool academic robes:



Grandaddy liked Son's outfit, too:




In the evening, we went to an evening concert by the award-winning St. Andrews Pipe Band.





Although the concert was very loud, Son loved it. He even got to try out the instruments!








All in all, a lovely weekend.

5 comments:

Susie Homemaker said...

That looks like so much fun! I'm jealous of your son, getting to try out some bagpipes. And the kilt. Always wanted one of those...

The Purloined Letter said...

It is actually a girl's school uniform purchased at the thrift store...

CygKnit said...

I nearly fell out of my chair when I read Laurinburg! I went to St. Andrews!!

Sadly, I was only able to go for a year, due to an illness, but it was a wonderful year. One of the many awesome aspects of the school (besides the quantity and quality of handicap access, the lake, the facilites, the student-teacher ratio, ad nauseum) was the view. I was lucky to live in Mecklenburg Hall, at the very end of a suite, with a whole wall of floor-to-celing windows overlooking the lake. Thanks for reminding me of the memories.

Dame Wendy said...

How fun!! Those pictures are great. =)

Knitting Therapy said...

We live in Conway, SC. Our son was offered a scholarship to play soccer at St Andrews this year but turned it down to go to USC, Columbia. Our daughter is a Jr. in high school and would love to go to St Andrews to major in the Equine Business program. With our state scholarship program, it is very difficult to go out of state. We have been very impressed with the programs and the faculty there!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails