Saturday, December 09, 2006

College Sweater

Today was frigid. I pulled out an old sweater to wear--the first one I ever knit. I made it in the summer of 1990 between my freshman and sophomore year in college.

Wearing it has filled me with memories of my grandmother, the Knitter who passed her genes down to me. I lived with her and took care of her that summer while she was ill. That was the year she taught me how to go from seed stitch scarves to drop-stitch horizontally-striped sweaters.

Son snapped this picture while I was making peanut-butter-and-banana sandwiches for lunch.



I spent forEVER trying to depill the old sweater. Anybody have any advice? Do you just sit there and pull the things off? Use a razor? And how do you use a sweater stone effectively?

* * *

I knit two rows of Swallowtail without tinking anything! Oh Happy Day!

* * *
Finally, I would like to introduce my Amazon bookstore:

The Raven Reads!

I've listed some of my favorite knitting books with brief reviews.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding pilled sweaters--I stretch it out on the ironing board and use one of those de-fuzzer things--it may be called a sweater stone. It takes a long time. If the sweater isn't stockinette, I pull off the pills--sometimes snip them off--while watching TV. Isn't it fabulous how long handknit sweaters last?

Deborah Robson said...

On pills: SNIP the pills off. Don't pull--that just makes things worse later. Do one section of the garment at a time: sleeve, sleeve, front, back.

The job is almost {grin} enjoyable if you have very sharp, small scissors. Embroidery scissors are good; my favorites are a pair of pointy-nosed Fiskars (this might work: http://tinyurl.com/y5rsqy). Looks like model 9481 approximates what I have, although mine have blue handles.

Specs said...

I've got a sweater stone, too. Works wonders!

Carrie K said...

The shawl took that threat to heart and behaved! Yay for no tinking.

FemiKnitMafia said...

I use a battery-powered sweater shaver. Granted, it gets clogged pretty easily, but it can handle my long wool winter coat too.

EGJ said...

This is what I love about handknitting: things last forever and ever, carrying with them fond memories of when they were knit. It really adds a bit of spiritual practice to the business of knitting a sweater.

Birdsong said...

I use the sweater stone too... I am impressed that you still love this first sweater and want to wear it. I have a few lingering fashion-knit experiments I would be embarassed to be seen in.

Amy O'Neill Houck said...

I *love* peanut butter and banana sandwiches!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails