Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Singleton Socks, Etc.

I think I've found an answer to what to do with my very odd sock and the single mitten! (But I must admit I am still sorely tempted by Spec's suggestion that the solo mitten would be a lovely Barbie sleeping bag or hamster hotel. And the anonymous suggestion that I think of the socks as "Looking Glass Socks" is certainly very reassuring.)

Amputeehee is cooking up a great project where knitters can donate either singles or sets of socks, mittens, and gloves:

There’s one more thought I have been having about handknit single socks. It
involves organizing a donation program to get them to amputees returning from
the war. There's a slew of them. I’ve been investigating how to set that up ...
and I’ve got a plan developing. If any of you have second sock syndrome (and the
resulting lonely first sock), I might just have a really good home for your
onesies soon. Or you could knit a complete pair and help dress up a prosthesis
;-)

...Wrote the letter to Walter Reed Military Hospital to start the
wheels turning for "Single Socks for Soldiers" .... If they accept, this will be
a program where knitters can donate their single socks to amputee vets. Full
pairs will be welcome as some amputees like to play dress up with their fake
legs, and I'm willing to collect gloves and mittens, too.



Keep your eye on her blog for specifics!

2 comments:

TheAmpuT said...

Wow, how cool of you to mention this already! Thanx!
I'm still waiting to hear back from Walter Reed Hospital, but if that doesn't work out, my next offer will go to the Amputee Coalition of America (they often send volunteers to meet new amputees at hospitals).

Stay tuned!
~bonnie

Lolly said...

This sounds amazing, H. Thank you so much for mentioning it! It sounds like a great cause to get behind with Socktoberfest too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails