Friday, September 29, 2006

go with the flow

For Tashlich on Rosh Hashanah afternoon, we took leftovers from the previous evening's round challah to the footbridge over our local creek. Each standing quietly by the railing, we tore off little bits of breads as we considered what we have done over the past year of which we are not proud. Assigning our misdeeds to the bread, we cast the bits into the water. (Son played *Pooh Sticks with some of his, watching the sins swim beneath the bridge and come out the other side.) I, as usual, was a fountain of tears.

The water carries away our sins. It leaves us unburdened of guilt and ready to move on to meaningful action, true repentence, and a better life.

Afterwards, we turned to each other, hugged, and apologized for all we had done that hurt each other, knowingly or unknowingly. This time between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur is our time to set things to right with each other. So for all of you reading: I am sorry for anything I have said or done that has hurt you, whether I intended to or not, whether I was aware or not.

As we walked back from the water, Son erupted in tears over nothing (he was both tired and hungry), and I snapped at him in frustration and impatience (I was both hungry and tired). Ah, a good start on preparations for next Tashlich....

* * *

Meanwhile, Adamas flows on.

After the fourth repeat...


and after the fifth.


*The link is to the World Pooh Sticks Championships. Wow.

6 comments:

Liz K. said...

What an inspiring moment. I hope I can remember to do this (or its equivalent) next year. My family is a religious mongrel, so we often need rituals that fit us, and a way to explain the significance of holidays to the kids, in the absence of church or shul.

This truly is the meaning of the holiday, and I love how it makes the abstract both real and symbolic at the same time.

FemiKnitMafia said...

Who knew there was a name for the wonderful bridge/stick game. Thanks for the bit of trivia. It also reminds me to buy a Pooh DVD for Little Man and start reading him 'big boy books' at bedtime. Now I'm off to practice my Pigglet voice.

hillary said...

I love this post. My younger daughter (7) insisted that we must do tashlich this year so we too went to a local creek with scraps of bread last weekend to think about the last year and what we may do better in the next. I'd never done it before and it was a really nice family moment.

Sara Skates said...

PS - A friend of mine lives near the woods in which the Pooh stories are set...when we visited a number of years ago, we played Pooh Sticks on the actual bridge :) It was rather poignant.

Sara Skates said...

Oops, my first response (prior to the PS) didn't show up. All it said was:

What a lovely tradition.

Kirsten said...

Adamas is looking great! What yarn are you using.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails