Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Smithsonian Folklife Festival

One of this year's themes for the Smithsonian Folklife Festival was Native Basketry. There were basket makers from all over the country--from Alaska to Hawaii, from Washington State to Nevada to Louisiana to North Carolina to Maine.



One of the things I enjoyed most was seeing how absolutely different the traditions were. The other thing I loved was seeing how absolutely similar they were!

I love the two-tone basket this woman is crafting.

These two were made by a 12yo.



Seems that duct tape is ubiquitous. Here is is used to cover the hat mold.


These artisans from North Carolina even make basket people!


And here, just for Beadlizard, is a woman making very finely woven baskets and then embellishing them with miniscule beads. Incredible!

3 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

My cousin's wife is a basket maker. She is always fascinated by my spinning. I, in turn, can't believe her baskets! Excellent photos!! Who'd have expected that the duct tape would make it into the show? ;)

yarnmaniac said...

Sorry to read about your dad's illness. It is so hard when your parents get sick.

Wendy

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails