Thursday, July 06, 2006

Icarus

I am FINALLY a couple of rows from the beginning of the lace charts in Icarus! And I am cheating--cutting out a whole repeat of chart A in order to make a smaller shawl. Sigh. It has still taken forEVER to get here....

When I first started the project, I thought the simplicity and regularity of the lace up until the last few inches was a huge advantage--and I suppose it is in many ways. I'm relatively new to lace and was happy to have this gentle introduction. I thought it would be interesting enough to hold my attention but mindless enough that I could knit in social gatherings and at meetings.

After knitting the chart A the first time, the pattern was ingrained in my blood and I did not have to think about it at all. And the pattern calls for the knitter to repeat that chart 5 more times, more and more stitches on the needle every row.

So "mindless" it certainly became--in a way. Unfortunately, the little tiny cobwebby yarn (I am using Lacey Lamb), the small needles (size 3), and the slippery needles the same color as my yarn (Addi Turbos--a really stupid choice here, although I love the needles for other projects) add up to a mindless project that requires a ridiculous amount of concentration. Others in blogland (from A to Y, at least--any Z blogs knitting Icarus?) have been talking about this same thing.

But now, after almost losing my wings to the melt-your-brain heat of the oh-so-regular pattern, I am on the verge of the lace feathers! Oh joy! Oh rapture! Oh freedom to soar!

9 comments:

FemiKnitMafia said...

Oh, it's lovely! I must confess, when faced with a $5 cone of mystery lace weight merino, I cast on for Icarus too. eek! This isn't part of the "I'm too busy to knit" plan. And lace weight is hard. I completely understand the level of concentration you're talking about.

Ruth said...

Yes, from what I'm reading, that pattern is a LOT more work than it looks. Congratulations on reaching the interesting part.

krista said...

addi turbos- you are brave to use those with lace, I'd be scared that the yarn would slide off the needles.

--Deb said...

Just be careful not to soar TOO high! Icarus has a bad reputation for that kind of thing . . .

Emma said...

It looks beautiful so far! You've given me the courage to get started on my own.

Kate A. said...

It's beautiful - congrats on finally getting to the fun part!

It seems to me that it might be the super-thin yarn that's causing all this angst. The yarn I used on my Icarus was much thicker, and I didn't have any trouble knitting the boring bits while watching movies or whatever, even using Addis. I think it makes all the difference whether the yarn is thick enough for your fingers to feel whether it's right or not without looking...

Anyway, it's all fun from here, and your shawl is going to be gorgeous!!

ttbookjunkie said...

Icarus is coming out great!

Amanda :)

Kristen said...

i got your link from the KAL


I love your Icarus. Looks sooo wonderful right now. Mind if I add you onto my blog?

Lolly said...

It is beautiful! I can't wait to see more!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails