Thursday, May 25, 2006

My first yarn--and my son's!

Since setting up the wheel, I've tried to learn to spin. Just getting the rhythm of treadling has taken a little while. Remembering to feed in regularly is plenty for my hands. In order to avoid having to draft at the same time--which felt like patting my head, rubbing my belly, and tap dancing at the same time--I first tried spinning with pencil roving.

Then I plied the yarn, using the suggestion to ply with two different colors in order to see the amount of twist evenly. Although I'm not especially fond of marled yarn, when I make it myself it is much more appealing. I'm pretty pleased! Should I knit a hat? A little felted bag? Perhaps weave a little purse?

With my new-found confidence, I tried drafting a sample of who-knows-what wool that I acquired at the spinning class. Yikes! I won't subject you to more.

Meanwhile, to keep my 7yo son interested while I was trying to learn to spin (and because I really can't talk about much else right now anyway), I taught him everything I know. I figured he would enjoy treadling since he has really loved his bicycle recently.

What I did not expect is the beautiful yarn he would make. Gorgeous singles.










His yarn, cast on to the homemade needles. He's knitting a scarf with his yarn. Impressed?

15 comments:

Elena said...

I'll say I'm impressed! His yarn looks better than mine after spinning for 6 months!
I'm taking a class right now to learn more. To avoid having to treadle and draft at the same time, the instructor has us pinch the yarn just below the drafting zone, treadle a few times then stop, and then slowly release your pinched fingers to let the twist enter the fibers while you draft. Once you get the hang of drafting, you can start treadling at the same time. It's helped me a lot.
Of course, you could just take lessons from your son!

eunny said...

Wow, stunning stuff!

Congratulations on your wheel :)

jacey (insubordiknit) said...

holy toledo! his yarn rocks! (yours isn't bad either). tell him to keep up the good work and he'll be better than most in no time!

yay, i love kid spinners. i do a podcast and i want to do a show all about the kid fiber workers i know, maybe he'd be interested in being interviewed?!

jacey
http://www.insubordiknit.com

Amie said...

Don't felt it! Hang onto it. I haven't knit mine into anything (or even plied it - just have the goofy little singles sitting out) but you'll want to go back and look when you're spinning frogs hair and elephant leashes to see where you started!

Lolly said...

Your 7 yo totally beat me in spinning. Wow! I think he is a natural (just like you!)

Michelle said...

Wow! Way to go! Kids are amazing, I think their brains are just unclutterred enough still and they just do and what usually comes out is wonderful!

Coleen said...

Wow! nice spinning! I haven't learned yet, but Amie has promised to teach me.

I have to say that your son's review of MS&W was the best I've read!

theShizzKnit said...

How fab! Your son is a natural! He must have had a very good teacher :)

Angela said...

I'm very impressed. I am thinking of trying spinning myself. Wait. Who am I kidding? My family is already ready to kill me over all the yarn and the knitting. Imagine if I add a spinning wheel and fleece! I shudder to think!

Ang

HPNY Knits said...

that looks like so much fun! I have been wanting to spin for ages. no room in my house, not to mention time. hooray to your son!!
:-)

Shanti said...

Wow. It's amazing what someone can do when he doesn't realize it's supposed to be hard, isn't it? He did a great job. Yours is looking pretty good, too.

Leslie Shelor said...

How wonderful your son is so interested in spinning! You're both doing great!

Rachael said...

Good lord! Those are both your first yarns? Mine were so lumpy-bumpy that I almost threw them away (didn't, made a hat, glad I did, but whew)! Yours and his are great.

Marcia said...

Your son is a natural...you are going to be fighting over that wheel! Congrats on the Symphony...we ought to start a club!

Jump Sheep said...

By him his own wheel! Looking forward to meeting you. I'm in Cabin John, MD. BTW, welcome to the MaterialWhirled! Hope you dad is feeling better. Therese

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails