Saturday, April 19, 2008

Patterns and Growth

My family spent some of last two weekends in the garden constructing our potato bed and planting a few seeds. We have been using the spacing technique introduced to us in John Jeavons' How to Grow More Vegetables (And Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops) than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land than You Can Imagine.



The author suggests using a hexagonal template to help space crops. We cut them out of an old pizza box to the proper sizes for the particular veggies we were planting, then moved them along the bed as we poked our finger into the dirt at all the corners. Then we poked into the centers, dropped in the seeds, and watered them down.

What we did not do is cover the seedbeds with any kind of mesh--meaning I woke up this morning to see squirrels digging out our hard work.

Gardening lesson number one.

* * *

Those gardening layouts really got to me:

I dreamed of being an artist, a quilter, obsessed with laying out hexagons.

Check out this knitted hexagon quilt on the cover of this book:



* * *

A perfect post-garden dinner:

Local baby arugula salad topped with Keswick Creamery feta cheese...



...served with local (and uber-sweet) Catoctin Mer de Glace wine.

1 comment:

Sheepish Annie said...

I sort of like squirrels...they are generally pretty entertaining. But, I suspect I would have lost some of the love at the sight of them digging up the garden!

I really like the idea of the hexagonal layout. Now I just need to find some land...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails