Sunday, April 20, 2008

Hanging Out

Last night we celebrated the first night of Passover with a fiber friend and some of her adopted family. What a wonderfully creative and peaceful evening!

Although David and I are very shy people who always stammer through meeting new folks, they were all quick to make us feel at home. Spending some time chatting together as well getting to go through their interesting haggadah made for a lovely evening. Thanks, Carol!

* * *

Before we went to the seder, we did a little cooking and cleaning in order to prepare for the holiday and for the guests who are scheduled to arrive in a couple of days. One job we intended to do on this beautifully day was some laundry. I had intended to pull our little line out to the sunshine and observe National Hanging Out Day. While some think of "solar clothes drying" as an inconvenient chore, I enjoy the rhythm of pinning clothes on the cord and I love the smell of the spring breeze in my clothes. But yesterday in our busyness, we forgot to get things started. I thought to myself that we might try today--but we woke up to a long soaking rain and some fairly ominous-looking clouds. Oh well.

Not Our Laundry

* * *

So instead, we just hung out together and made a leisurely almost-all-local classic passover breakfast: matzah brei.

First, we sauteed some farmers market apples in some Amish butter.



While it was caramelizing, we soaked some not-local matzot in apple juice (from Pennsylvania) which we had warmed up. After they were soft, we drained them and crumbled the matzah into local beaten eggs. We added a sprinkling of farmers market maple sugar, then added the egg-and-matzah mixture to the sauteeing apples and cooked it as if we were scrambling eggs.

This is one of my favorite Passover breakfasts, and getting to spend a long Sunday morning enjoying the matzah brei together with my family made it doubly sweet.





* * *

“We must all hang together, or most assuredly we will all hang separately."
-Benjamin Franklin

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Ooh, that sounds like a really tasty breakfast! I love matzoh brie, I'm going to have to have to try this variation sometime.

C Meir said...

I am so glad we didn’t send you fleeing in terror. All were really glad you came. My extended family & I can be in some situations a little crass and a bit overwhelming, but we mean well and you are always welcomed. Everyone said you were great, Abe is precocious and an impressive reader and they congratulated me on hanging out with a better class of people…They said the next big event is Memorial Day Weekend, come back with yarn and food…

Carol M

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails