Monday, July 02, 2007

Impatient and Undisciplined

After finishing the first clue of the Mystery Stole, I was somewhere between disappointed and honestly relieved. Knitting it is an absolute blast, but I was a little too, um, obsessed focussed....

And I have several unfinished objects I should work on, as well as a shawl to block and some spinning to finish. Having a little respite from the new shawl promised me a few days to go back to these.

And then there is the book proofs that arrived in the mail a few days ago that we've been checking and starting to index. (YIKES-- what an intense job!) Not mooning over a new project might be a really good thing.

But...



I am weak.

The UFOs all have thick wool and lots of sweater in my lap. Not right for the season.

And anyway, I am too stressed about the index to be without lace, my drug of choice, to help me through. I cast on a Forest Canopy Shawl with some hemp lace-weight yarn I bought at Maryland Sheep and Wool this spring. I knit while looking up citations, making sure interviewees who want to be anonymous are anonymous, and chasing down obscure grammar rules for the book.

I love the easy-but-not-mindless pattern. Knitting with hemp is a lot like knitting with linen: hard on the hands because of both its roughness and its lack of stretch, but also cool and crisp in the heat of the summer.

Bad knitter! Bad knitter!

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

That lace pattern is beautiful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails