Friday, June 22, 2007

The Moons of Jupiter

Oh my goodness! We've spent the evening star watching--and saw three of the moons of Jupiter from our front yard.

A year or two ago, we went to a star party in the wilds of northern Virginia and were amazed by all we saw in the incredible darkness with all the amateur-but-incredible telescopes that people brought there.

Here we are, looking through the tiny telescope friends loaned us for the season while they are away. Now we are in our seriously-light-polluted front yard in the inside-the-beltway this-is-barely-the-suburbs neighborhood of Takoma Park--



--here there is this reminder that our world is tiny, that our world is magnificently blessed, that our world is real. At this moment when I've been calling out for a life more authentic and immediate, THIS appears on our doorstep--a sight as far from immediate and real as possible, and all the more authentic for its miraculousness.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice shot of the planet and its moons.

What did you take them with? What's the brand and specs of the telescope if you're willing to share?

Sheepish Annie said...

Wow! That is an amazing shot! Considering the level of light with which you were contending, that is nothing short of amazing. Nicely done!

The Purloined Letter said...

Um...

I'm sorry to say that the photo is not mine. I lifted it from the 'net purely for the purposes of illustration. But it IS what we really saw--except Jupiter was smaller and the moons were low on the left....

Wish I were that talented a photographer, and had that kind of equipment!

SaraSkates said...

wow -

how did you get the photo???!!!

oh - I just read the comments ;) Still - what an amazing sight.

Sue said...

Wow! That's really cool.

shaguirre said...

Not a comment on this particular post, although it is very nice. I just wanted to say that I love your blog and that I felt like I needed to say that I think you are just a lovely, thoughtful, wonderful person and I appreciate all the good info you share here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails