Thursday, March 30, 2006

K1, R1 (Knit One, Read One)

I love reading about knitting whether I'm looking at patterns, reading novels, or pouring over blogs.

Every day I have to check out what is new on Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's blog, Yarn Harlot. One of my very favorite entries draws a parallel between knitting buttonbands and raising teenagers. Wow. I've printed it out to read again in a few years when my own child is that age. (Or maybe when I get to the button band on the cabled cardigan.)

I also love her wonderful book, Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter. Amazing essays. 90% of the time the book leaves me laughing so hard I snarf my coffee. The other 10% I cry as I read her poignant essays, especially the heartbreaking piece about the death of a baby.

The Yarn Harlot is hilariously funny talking about her knitting successes and challenges, her spinning, her parenting, Joe her husband, and the extensive knitting community that she has helped create both online and around the world. She is insightful and moving, too. To top it all off, she uses her powers for good: for example, she encourages readers to donate to Knitters Without Borders.

Now, off to get Pearl-McPhee's new book, Knitting Rules!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails