Friday, March 30, 2007

Wish List

Ever since my brother at the age of 3 asked Santa for blue cheese, wish lists have been an endless source of amusement for me.

A few years later, my brother asked for a real space ship that could really fly, but since he couldn't read yet, he wanted pictures for controls.

* * *

Son has asked for the following for his upcoming birthday:

*won or too Pesis of stirfom [one or two pieces of styrofoam]
*new bathroob
*new tape player [the audio kind that records]
*white paper
*kilt, plaid [a girl's school uniform from the thrift store]
*bicycle
*And I all so want your love from Mama and Papa
*brown slip-on shoes from Land's End
*jester shoes, I dont no war

After reading his list, I was very pleased to see that in addition to the usual material things (and the unusual material things), he wanted parental love and an end to war.

When I read over the list with him, he corrected me: "Not 'no war,' Mama!. 'I DON'T KNOW WHERE!' I don't know where to find jester shoes. Land's End doesn't have them."

Anybody have any ideas on where to buy them or how to make them quickly? (I think I might be able to make up a felted slipper pattern?)

Getting jester shoes might be easier than trying to end war by the end of the month....

* * *

UPDATE:

My friend from Scotland had breakfast with me yesterday morning--and asked if when she's next here she could bring Son a "wee bagpipe"--which will excite him to no end. For the last two years, he's been using a homemade bagpipe that he invented: he blows up a balloon, slips it over the end of his recorder, and plays notes as he expels the air through the recorder.

He gets a bagpipe, and I get a nice ear plug...

8 comments:

Miss T said...

What a great list. "White paper," I love that. And your brother, asking for blue cheese. :o)

said...

Oh how strange, I knew about the styrofoam without your translation. And the I don't know where after the jester shoes. Sanguine Gryphon has a pattern for felted Jester booties that I'm sure you could modify to fit his feet. I made my son a kilt for Renfaire a couple years back. :)

Liz K. said...

My daughter just made a wish list yesterday,. It had things like to live in Hawaii and to ride a unicycle.

I love what's on their minds.

livnletlrn said...

Hey, we had that kind of recorder-balloon bagpipe playing here a few years ago!

Sheepish Annie said...

You are one cool mom! I don't think that Mommy Sheep would have been on board with my having my own bagpipes. Can't say as I blame her, really. I was an enthusiastic child...with no real musical talent to speak of. ;)

NeedleTart said...

I don't remember if you sew, but there was a pattern for jester slippers put out by one of the major pattern companies (Maybe McCall's?) about 10 years back. Good luck (and enjoy that bagpipe. The Husband wanted to play one in high school and he has just retired and is looking for ideas....shhhhhh)

Wendy said...

Hanna, here's a link: http://www.buycostumes.com/productdetail.aspx?ProductID=17962&CMP=ILC-content

Good luck on your hunt!

Carrie K said...

Jester shoes is probably much easier than ending war, particularly in the current sitch.

Cute list!

And oh yum, that homemade butter!

Gorgeous shawls. I've found all sorts of knots in yarn that were already there. The best way to deal with them, I've discovered, is to not pull them tightly. Which you probably know, but who says advice is useful? ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails