Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Socks to Save Us

I don't know what I would do without socks on my needles. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I turn to them less and less. A lace shawl (or a small colorwork project) turns my eye and I try to do it in the car, at my knitting group, while reading blogs, while watching a fascinating DVD, or while I spend time with my family.

These are incompatible despite my best efforts. When my child or my partner asks for my attention while I have a shawl in my hands, I just get frustrated with them both--ruining the lace and the relationship at the same moment. They both can take hours to repair.

Socks are the answer. Plain old stockinette socks.



David needs socks too. He has recently finished one of his 6x2 ribbed socks down to the kitchenering and the other, in his knitting bag, is past the heel:



Have you answered the Pointy Sticks call for sock stories yet?

4 comments:

xmasberry said...

Interesting DVD indeed! I need to check that out. Michael Pollan touched upon the subject in his book "The Botany of Desire" and i worry that the movie will disturb me even more. Copyrighting genes, making seeds that 'expire' so that farmers can's plant next year's crop from part of last year's harvest. Extremely scary for the small farmer and anyone interested in a sustainable society. Thanks for the recommendation.

Amy O'Neill Houck said...

I love your comment about lace and relationships! I'm sure there's more to write about there...

Sheepish Annie said...

Took me the longest time to get on the sock bandwagon. And now I'm hooked!!! I always have a pair in the works and they are all the plain stockinette variety. It's what I'd buy in the store and it is pure comfort knitting. Yay socks!

gwtreece said...

I never that I would knit socks. I made my first pair last year and feel in love. I made my first pair of Jaywalkers this year but plain stockinette is my favorite. They feel wonderful on the feet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails