Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A Tangled Skein



A new yarn store has opened in downtown Hyattsville, an area less than a fifteen-minute drive from where we live. David, Son, and I went to check it out on Sunday afternoon.

What a lovely store! I love the modern-but-warm feel of the silver-gray walls and black yarn cubbies. I was pleased by how well the colors of the yarn showed up against the dark shelves and how incredibly inviting it felt.

As soon as we walked in, I ran into two pals from my knitting group. Together and apart, we ogled the Classic Elite Miracle (a 50% alpaca, 50% tencel yarn in gorgeous colors), the Waterlily, lots of silk and silk blends from Debbie Bliss and others, and the relatively comprehensive selection of standards from Lamb's Pride and Noro. There is a nice selection of books and magazines as well.

So far, the store does not have much laceweight or sock yarn. But the store just opened. Not only do I expect that they will fill out their yarn selections--but they are thinking about adding a coffee bar!

One of the best things about the store is its location. This up-and-coming hip neighborhood is full of artists--and the store is directly across from one of my favorite brew pubs-slash-general stores, Franklin's. I can see this becoming a habit!

3 comments:

Lolly said...

I heard about this store and I can't wait to check it out. Thanks for all of the details! Perhaps a trip very soon... and I love the coffee bar idea!

Amy O'Neill Houck said...

They're open late on Wed. nights, so a Franklin's dinner/slash shopping isn't out of the question :-)

Javajem said...

I was just there on Friday and I love it! I work 5 miles away!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails