Monday, January 08, 2007

Knitting for Peace

Yesterday in my hometown of Takoma Park, MD, there was the first meeting of a large group of knitters who gathered to stitch together and make some items for charity. The meeting, in honor of the wonderful book Knitting for Peace: Make the World a Better Place One Stitch at a Time (which Amazon is selling for less than ten dollars!), attracted a large crowd. Many of us made scarves for Food and Friends, a local group that is having a scarf drive. Others knitted bears for children with no toys, premie caps, afghans, etc. David took along the scarf he is knitting out of Kidsilk Haze and donating for a charity auction.

We chatted a little about ideas for future plans. Some people expressed interest in each of us knitting a square for an afghan we then seam together. Others suggested knitting a multi-knitter shawl like the one at the end of Shawls and Scarves where three or four knitters sit in a circle and keep going around and around. Whether we donated the shawl to a charity or put it up for sale at the local farmer's market, it sounds like a lot of fun.

While we were there, Amy taught me how to crochet--and I completed a whole scarf on the hook and yarn I borrowed from her for the afternoon. A representative of Food and Friends was there and I handed the completed scarf right over. Wow--add crochet, big hook, and bulky yarn together and things go fast!

5 comments:

Marlyce in Windsor,Ontario said...

Well, the group knitting shawl/afghan is a lot of fun but it is also a lot of work for one person. Lat year, around this time, I thought this would be a great idea for our knitting guild's end-of-year knitting day in June. I have vowed that next time I have a good idea I will bite my tongue until the thought passes. Someone has to knit the beginning until it is large enough for several people to sit around it without playing kneesies or hurting their back from bending forward. I started with a large hole (but it wasn't large enough!!) and then began the knitting and increasing until it was about 3 feet diameter and would fit on a card table. The other difficulty was that not everybody had the same skills, or didn't concentrate sufficiently, so there were some errors in the increases, which showed up a lot in the final product. I ended up mattress stitching the increase yarnovers to hide them. Another member knit the centre triangle. (It ends up as a large triangle if you increase 3 times in the circumference. It would become "rounder" if you put in more increases (yarnovers) but then you'd have to do more rows of plain knitting between increases.
Then it needs a trim as well. It is finally finished, and I will take it to the guild meeting on Thursday and they can decide what to do with it. To raffle it requires a huge amoung of paper work, licensing permits, etc. The LYS may be willing to sell it and donate the money to charity, or we may donate the afghan to charity.
Just letting you know where the difficulties lay, and how it does mean a lot of work for one person. (Although if you are a group of friends who see each other frequently, you may pass it around and thus share the individual work) Good luck, and let us know how it goes. You may find ways around the problems we (I) had.

Anonymous said...

I haven't crocheted in a while, but have been meaning to do something. I thought it might be a nice break for my hands after all the sock knitting. And it goes so fast!

Great ideas for charity donations!

Birdsong said...

So glad you have a group to work together... the Family Resource Center where I do one of my GED prep classes is starting a group this month to make blankets for Project Linus and I am looking forward to working with others. I am grateful to Marlyce for her comment; maybe fun fur hats for Boston Children's Hospital next time would go easier.

Anonymous said...

Well thats really a nice idea of charity.... the food and friends group is doing a wonderful job... u can drop by My Friendship blog sometime and let me now if u find it interesting....!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Why wasn't I invited. I even promise to block and tell!
-Rebecca

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails