Friday, January 22, 2010

In a Pickle

I am very excited about participating in the Tigress' Can Jam this year.

Click for tigress can jam food blog challenge

Participants can one fruit or vegetable a month throughout the year--and this month's choice is CITRUS.

* * *

I have a lot of excuses for not getting it done yet. Really. And some of them are pretty good. Yep.

But nevertheless, the citrus is whole and the jars are still in the box, and they are going to be staying there all day. Instead, I will be rushing around to meet the requirements of a day filled with activities and a special evening occurring at our house.

In short, I am in too much of a pickle to can jam today.

Instead, I am preparing my canning fiesta for tomorrow, using a recipe for spiced oranges from The Joy of Pickling, Revised Edition: 250 Flavor-Packed Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market.

Citrus in a pickle? An experiment too hard to resist!

2 comments:

OfTroy said...

salt preserved lemons are a everyday condiment in many part of southern mediterranian cooking..

not what you expect (if you are a used to sweet (ketchup and the like) garnishes of US.. but still interesting!

Libby said...

It's a great recipe, I made it Thursday! I used fennel instead of cinnamon and cloves. Yum!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails