Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Handmade Holidays, pt 1

For several years, my family has made a point to give predominantly handmade gifts to our families. I usually give mostly handknits and supplement with a few home-canned jams and pickles.

This year I made my brother a hat (one of the hardest things I've ever knit, including the elaborate lace shawls and cabled sweaters). Here it is modeled by my husband:

Handmade Holiday

Handmade Holiday

My father, an academic who usually gets shorted on the knits with just a hat or scarf, received this lap blanket to keep in his study:

Handmade Holiday

Handmade Holiday

And both my mother and mother-in-law received knitted beaded necklaces. Mom got a topaz-colored necklace which I though might look good with the colors she tends to wear:

Handmade Holiday

My MIL's necklace, packaged here in a little sewn felt glasses case, was black with shiny highlights from the beads:

Handmade Holiday

Handmade Holiday

* * *

All of the recipients were wonderful in their responses. I love to give knitted gifts to people who act like they genuinely appreciate them!

At times I have given to other folks who have either looked disappointed that they were being given something homemade, or "complimented" me by saying the knitting "almost looks storebought!" (One of my least favorite comments ever was when someone told me that the sweater I was knitting for David looked like it could be from Land's End.)

How did your own handmade gifts go over?

Tomorrow I'll post pics of the little surprise gifts I knit for my partner David and our son. I'll also show you what the two of them created this season to give!

4 comments:

The Raven said...

For those who want more information about the knitting patterns, check out my Ravelry page: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Purloined

Heather said...

They're beautiful - specially love the hat :-)

Lisa said...

I LOVE the necklaces. They are Stunning.

I made felted mittens for my dad to match the hat from the year before, and after giving them to him (which I know he appreciated cause he likes the creativity of handmade)I asked him a few weeks later if he thought they were warm. He admitted that he had not worn them yet cause they were mits and not gloves. He then told me that I should make them with "less scratchy" yarn. I thought mom was the only "anti-knitting" recipient. Sigh.

The Raven said...

Thanks, folks!

Lisa, I am so sorry to hear that your handknits didn't go over so well this time. Just send them my way--and I promise to be a very receptive recipient!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails