Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Washing Dishes

aAlthough we have used cloth napkins and kitchen towels instead of disposable paper products for years, we've had an enormously difficult time getting past our addiction to disposable scrubby-sponges for washing dishes.

We now have some answers:



The blue thing is the plastic netting our seed potatoes came in this spring. We've been using it now for a couple of months and it is in great shape. While it is ultimately disposable, it was saved from the trashcan where it could have gone immediately after planting the potatoes. It provides absolutely superior scraping of cast iron pans, etc. and has lasted extremely well. Because it is so easy to wash out well, we don't worry about the germs that can grow so easily in disposable sponges. We have another one waiting in the wings when this one finally wears out.

The two green squares are a knitted cotton washcloth that David made and a woven potholder square that Son made. Both are absolutely fantastic--with a lot more traction and absorbing ability than the cloths we had been trying to use before.

Addiction number one broken!

5 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

I've cut some of those bags into strips and crocheted them into little scrubbie squares. They last a really long time and fit the hand quite nicely!

Carrie K said...

That's a great idea. I'll have to scour the homestead for something suitable, which I'm sure we have. We have everything. Somewhere.

Green Bean said...

Cool! This is one thing I've not yet given up . . . now I can just transition to your idea. I even have the same blue mesh bag I saved! Thanks for the tip.

CG said...

I love this and that you blogged it! I too loved sponges until I simply could not afford them. My daughter crocheted me some dish cloths and now I love THEM. We even sold some on etsy. The net idea for a scrubbie is brilliant and I'm going to dig out all the bags I've saved, not knowing what for!

funny about Money said...

Great idea! I use those bags as lint-catchers on the end of the clothes washer's drain hose, which discharges into a utility sink. I cut the bag in half,creating two filters. A scavenged wire tie is used to secure the filter to the end of the hose. Haven't had a clogged drain yet!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails