Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Philosophy of Fair Isle

I recently started my first big stranded project: Philosopher's Wool "Color Your Own" cardigan in the Fall colorway. My hope was to make my way through the sleeves before the heat set in enough that I wanted a lighter project.



Well--one week later and they are both done! Fair Isle knitting is incredibly addictive and it just flies--at least when it is knitted with worsted-weight yarn.

But now...

I'm hesitating about casting on 200 stitches for the body....

I currently have way too many projects on the needles and keep finding excuses not to do such extensive counting. Hrmph.

But I'll screw my courage to the sticking place (yes--I just saw the Folger's amazing Macbeth)and pull out the long needles, the black yarn, and several markers to mark my progress. Wish me luck.


Project Spectrum: Fire

4 comments:

cici said...

Simply lovely... I hope I can learn fair Isle soon..

NeedleDancer said...

But... but....
if you've knit the sleeves, doesn't this count as "on the needles" anyway? I mean, it's in progress. Just because you've not yet ACTUALLY put the next piece on the needles doesn't detract from that..
Go for it!
You've clearly got GREAT Fair Isle Mojo going... why waste it?
(they're gorgeous...)

The Purloined Letter said...

Ha! Yep--I did not mean I should not start the body because I had so many other projects--just that something always was stealing my interest. Casting on huge numbers of stitches is not my favorite thing to do, and there seem to be SO many other things in my knitting bag that catch my attention more quickly....

Carrie K said...

You saw MacBeth at the Folger's Shakespeare Theater? I am so jealous! We got to tour it - extensively - it was right after 9/11 but I would love to see a play staged there.

I should have done the sleeves on my FI first. Two years later, I'm still halfway through the body.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails