Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Very Special One Local Summer #6


We set our table with some fridge-weary kale leaves that we let dry:



For dinner we had grilled portobello mushrooms from Pennsylvania, roasted asparagus spears from New Jersey, baby potatoes from Maryland, lamb shanks from Maryland grilled over fresh rosemary from our neighbor's yard, and slices of gorgeous Chioggia beets pulled from our own garden. Yummy. (Who knew you could get local asparagus, one of my partner's favorite vegetables, in July?!)



To top the meal off, we had a non-local treat: a sour cream chocolate chip pound cake especially requested by the birthday boy.





Happy 40th Birthday, David!

* * *

We began the next day with pancakes made from the remnants of various flours we had been grinding during the month. There was a bit of oat, quinoa, amaranth, winter wheat, and millet. On top of the pancakes we served some homemade cow's milk cheese (like chevre but we made it with cow's milk) and homemade blueberry jam (details coming soon). What a local way to start the weekend!

8 comments:

The Tell-Tale Heart said...

I can only hope that this year (and decade) are filled with as much love and nourishment as they started with. Thank you for a wonderful birthday dinner.

Kathleen said...

I am so impressed with your locavoring! And, of course, many happy returns of the day to David.

Carrie K said...

Happy Birthday, David!

Those pancakes looks delicious.

Veggie Mom said...

Yummy! Happy Birthday, David--have a great 41st year!

christine (threedogknits) said...

Your posts on local food remind me of the summer I lived in Greenbelt, MD (a few years ago). My next door neighbor had one of the victory gardens Greenbelt set up in the 1940's. I would come home from work on Fridays to find a bag of veggies hanging on my door. I remember he was growing asparagus in July. If you ever get a chance to take a look at all the victory gardens in Greenbelt it is pretty cool.

The Purloined Letter said...

Christine--Thanks so much for the tip! I had no idea these still existed and am out to search for more info right away. Sounds like a great outing.

Madeline said...

That looks sooo good! I feel inspired to go make dinner now. I needed that.

Tiffany said...

That looks like a great meal. I, also, had no idea there was relatively local (I'm in northern VA) asparagus this time of year!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails