Sunday, July 27, 2008

Homegrown Mess

Our dinner came completely from our own garden.

To emphasize the DIY nature of the meal, we cooked it in our solar oven--making this almost a zero-carbon meal (except, of course, that fact that all the food was previously living and made of carbon).

We dug our very first little tiny pearls of new potatoes, then added our first-of-the-season tomato, a zucchini and a yellow squash, a few green beans, a chioggia beet, some yellow-stemmed chard, and a little basil.

It isn't the prettiest dish we've ever made, but I have never been prouder:

6 comments:

cici said...

Pretty isn't always delicious. It Certainly was salubrious and nourishing, and made in a enviromentally friendly manner.:D

Jennifer (of Veg*n Cooking) said...

Good food doesn't always manifest in nice pictures. You must feel so satisified eating a meal completely from your garden!

Specs said...

I haven't commented on your blog in ages, but I have been reading! And I just want to say that I really appreciate all of your food posts, pretty pictures or no. (And I happen to think that looks delicious anyway.)

And on a side note, do you know of any good vegetarian food blogs? I read some vegan blogs, but haven't come across any good ovo-lacto vegetarian ones.

Chile said...

You should be proud! It's challenging to make a totally homegrown meal. It seems like I always end up with several things from elsewhere, no matter how hard I try.

I've got something special for you...

Beany said...

I'm so impressed. I bet it was the best tasting meal you had.

ben said...

You can build a Fun-panel solar cooker in less than an hour from a cardboard box and a few metres of aluminium foil.

Tom Sponheim
Solar Cookers International

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails