Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Another Spin Job

From spinning the news to spinning women:



Supposedly, if you see the dancer turning clockwise, then you use more of the right side of the brain and vice versa. According to the makers, most people see the dancer turning counter-clockwise.


LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing
acknowledges
order/pattern perception
knows object name
reality based
forms strategies
practical
safe

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking


For me, she turns one way and then the other.

I'm curious if knitters (people who use both hands and use both logic and creativity all the time) have more integration between the right and left hemispheres than others and might be more likely to see both.

So, which do you see? (And do you knit?)

12 comments:

Inky said...

I am firmly right brained and can't make her change no matter how hard I try!! And yes, I do knit, really, honest I do. I even did a few rows this week in my spare time!!

Shanti said...

This test recently made the rounds in my work community. Oddly for a bunch of people who pride themselves on logic, most of us saw, at least initially, the dancer turn clockwise. I see her turn clockwise at the beginning, but she changes direction if I try to make her do so and randomly if I just stare at the monitor. (And yup, I'm a knitter, too.)

Mouse said...

She's turning clockwise.. period. I did it a few times and couldn't see anything else.

Deana said...

After a bit I got her to turn the other way - but I am a right handed Knitter - but Left Handed writer. So fairly screwed up as is.

The Tell-Tale Heart said...

Clockwise and clockwise only for this relatively new, very right-handed knitter.

Sheepish Annie said...

Clockwise. Totally clockwise. The only way I could see her turn the other way was if I looked away and watched out of the corner of my eye. But only for a second...

Isn't it odd how many of us are seeing clockwise? We are truly a creative group!

FemiKnitMafia said...

Fun! I saw only clockwise. And like the others, I tried to see her going the other way. I couldn't.

jasmine said...

She spun clock wise -- and I thought it was odd since I really am more left brain than right and being left brain I played it again to figure out how it could be seen the other way as it was so definitive. This time in a methodical way -- I looked at shadows and her feet and half way through the spins she switched directions. (Yes, I knit)

Marion said...

Clockwise at first, then I looked away and when I looked back she was turning counter clockwise. I knit.

bibliotecaria said...

I saw purely clockwise. I do knit (and spin). I didn't try to see her the other way, I just observed.

Stuntmother said...

I see her spinning clockwise, although the first time I tried this test (about a week ago) I saw her spin counterclockwise. That time, she ended up going back and forth.

but I'm feeling sad right now which would plant me pretty fully in the feeling bit of my brain, so perhaps that affects it?

I knit a bit ;)

Joan said...

When I watched the dancer, she switched back and forth between the two directions - and not when I made a deliberate choice to do so. I am not yet a knitter, but that is one of the things I want to learn as I head into retirement.
Clearly a creative group!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails