Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Wet Weekend

Over the weekend we went to a young friend's birthday party. The plan was for guests to pitch tents in her family's big yard and camp in honor of Great American Backyard Campout. Although rain had been predicted for more than 24 hours before the party started, the sun prevailed all afternoon and we enjoyed every minute in their yard.

Although most of the guests decided not to camp, those of us who planned to stay began to set up around 7pm. We snapped together metal rods, fed them through tent flaps, and drove tent stakes into the ground. We took a bit of a break to coat ourselves again in mosquito repellant, then went back to work spreading blankets over the tarp and pulling our favorite pillows out of the car. The second I emerged from our perfectly outfitted tent, the skies opened and the lightening began.

We grabbed our pillows and slept on our hosts' couch.

All the adults spent the evening drinking Jamaican beer and talking about everything from politics to parenting to local restaurants. We started again in the morning with bloody marys, scrambled egg burritos, and more talk. The kids had a great time running around, planning elaborate circus-like shows that only vaguely materialized, and getting very wet. A terrific weekend!

David and I both got some knitting done at the birthday party. He's working on his socks and I on the same thing that everyone else seems to be knitting these days: Icarus.



*

Today my father started both radiation and chemo. I knit.

5 comments:

xmasberry said...

Was it red stripe? That's the only jamaican beer i know of. Isn't that sad? It's a tasty beer, though.

So sorry the backyard camp-out didn't work out as intended, but it sounds like it was still a good time!

Icarus looks beautiful. All the best to your father.

Specs said...

Icarus does look beautiful. What yarn are you using? I've been wanting to make myself a clapotis in grey, but am having a hard time finding a nice, light grey color.

Anonymous said...

Your Icarus looks good. I'm considering starting it myself.

Good luck to your dad. My mother just finished chemo, and I know how hard it is. Hang in there. Glynda

mamma said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your father. I spent many an afternoon knitting while my Mom was given her chemo. All my best to you and yours.

Cheryl said...

I'll be thinking about you and your father, take care.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails