Monday, May 03, 2010

A Handmade Salad

salad bowl 2

For my birthday, my mother-in-law frequently asks me to figure out something that I love but would not splurge for myself.  Although I've been dreaming about beautiful small salad bowls recently, the mass-made ones did not call my name--and the handturned ones seemed a bit out of my price range.  What a perfect time for birthdays!

Through Etsy, I found many beautiful bowls, including this one from One of a Kind 2.  When we got home from the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival, the box was waiting for me and I eagerly opened it to see if the bowl was as beautiful in person as it was on the website.  And it absolutely is.

I suppose this style of natural-edged bowl made from a fallen tree could be called Wabi Sabi--or Imperfect Beauty, as it is sometimes translated.

My own style tends toward the natural, the authentic, the homemade--and of course, stacks of books and papers, and the odd ball of yarn with a pair of needles...

I can't wait to fill this beautiful bowl tonight with arugula, amaranth leaves, parsley, and sorrel from our garden!  Finding the beauty in the things naturally around us--be it wooden bowls and pottery plates, or our homegrown food-- adds so much to my sense of peace and joy while sitting around the table.

Do you have a personal connection to your tableware? Do you eat off your Grandmother's china, or use a clay bowl for salt that your toddler made, or serve homemade bread in a basket bought on the side of the road near Charleston, or cook in clay pots bought in South America, or off of handwoven placemats? I'd love to hear about it.

salad bowl 1

4 comments:

Penny L. Richards said...

My sugar bowl is from a potter in Durham--I bought a bunch of his sugar/creamer sets for wedding gifts while we were living there, they were beautiful and fit a two-grad-student budget. But I ended up keeping this one and its partner, because I broke the handle before I could gift it. ;)

Jennifer said...

We're a household that loves to entertain, and with entertaining comes dishes. I inherited my grandmother's Passover china, which finally (after years in storage) is being used for our own seders. But for regular dinners (with guests besides the two of us), we use my husband's grandmother's china. It isn't so fragile we're afraid to hurt it, and there's something amazing about eating food off the same plates that have sustained his family for three generations so far. We use plenty of inherited cookware as well, but it's the fancy china, used often for not-so-fancy occasions, that really makes us feel at home and a part of the continuum.

The Raven said...

Penny--What a great idea for gifts! Next time we're in NC, I'll have to pick up a few extras.

Jennifer--Absolutely! I love using the china from both sides of the family for exactly that reason of continuity and connection. Your meals sound lovely. (We're free for dinner any time!)

teabird said...

The only thing I treasure from my grandmother is a set of ceramic tea mugs with Disney characters on the sides. They're so whimsical, and so unexpected!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails