Saturday, May 01, 2010

Maryland Sheep and Wool

Every year I look forward to the incredible Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival.  It always falls at such an ideal time: the weekend between my birthday and Mother's Day.

One of the things we always love to watch is the sheep shearing demonstration.  This gentleman kept the feisty Scottish Blackface remarkably calm...

sheep sheering 1

sheep sheering 2

...and, using hand shearers, took off the coat in one beautifully big piece:

sheep sheering 3

Of course, sheep demonstrations are a pretty small part of the festival for me. I go for the fiber off the hoof. My stash has gotten ridiculous in the last few years so I promised myself I would not buy a lot of new yarn. I went with one booth in mind: Seacolors.

seacolors booth

And from this booth came my only significant purchase. I bought enough yarn for a sweater for myself, in very muted colors (which actually are pretty colorful for me):

seacolors purchase

* * *

One of the coolest things is seeing blog friends. I'm pretty sure I saw the Fiddlin' Fool and young Jamie from Two Sock Knitters. I also saw, I think, Anne Hanson from Knitspot, accompanied by the gorgeous model for her Hypoteneuse stole.  And best of all?  While David was waiting for me, sitting on the floor of the main hall knitting squares for the knitted quilt our family is making, Shani recognized him from the pictures on this blog and asked him if he was David!

5 comments:

Mouse said...

I've never heard of the yarn that you went to MDSW to get but after seeing it, I can see why you would want to seek it out! It looks like sea glass! Beautiful. Looks like you had a wonderful time!

Shani said...

Ha! I'm the one. I was hesitant to say anything, but the second time I saw David in the crush of people I decided to go ahead and introduce myself and tell him how much I enjoy this blog. He was gracious and funny. When I mentioned that I've been inspired to make a raised garden bed by your family's example, he pointed out that this means I've seen a picture of his butt. Well, I'm back to MDS&W again this morning, mainly to take the pictures I missed yeserday.

Shani (ZanyShani on flickr and Ravelry)

The Raven said...

Terrific! I'm so sorry I did not get to meet you!

Kathleen said...

Isn't Nanney of Seacolors great? I met her last summer up in Maine and just ran into her last weekend in Boston. I love what she does. Guess it's probably time for me to buy a sweater's worth of yarn from her. So glad you had a great time!

The Raven said...

I just found out Nanney is the cousin-in-law of one of my good friends! And I've already picked out next year's colors...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails