Friday, September 28, 2007

Pottery and Beer Bread

While we were in North Carolina, I found a beautiful bread bowl at a local potter's studio.




BEER BREAD:

3 cups white whole wheat flour
2 TB baking powder
pinch of salt
3 TB sugar
1 bottle or can of beer

Mix together,
adding a little water if necessary to get it all mixed in.
Put in a greased bowl and
bake in a preheated 350 degree oven
for 50 minutes.


* * *

I loved the glazing on the pottery--and it looked astonishingly familiar. Surely it wasn't the same glaze combination I used for a set of small bowls made in a pottery class almost fifteen years ago.

I bought it and brought it home to compare:



WOW!

5 comments:

The Tell-Tale Heart said...

Once again, ahead of your time. Let's take a family pottery class this year. And let's also make the bread again soon. It was yummy.

Mouse said...

I've been looking at an Etsy shop that sells little pottery bread bowls for ages but still haven't had the funds to purchase one yet. I'm thinking I'll get one for my upcoming birthday. The shop is called "Rising Sun EarthWorks" and can be found here http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5050179

just in case you'd like another pretty bread-bowl. :)

Sheepish Annie said...

I have a genuine affection for handmade pottery, bowls especially since they are so useful. Form really does follow function, I suppose...

Isn't it fabulous that you happened to stumble across the one that was so clearly meant to be yours?

Greta_Jane said...

I am very fond of this kind of bread recipe. Simple, to the point, and do-able with what is on hand, usually in time for dinner. I am new to your blog--was recently sent my a friend, and am quite enjoying what you say.

micah said...

very cool! Can I try it in something like my round corningware dish? It's pretty cool!

Looks liek theres been some serious kniting going on over there too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails