After the cooking consult, Amy informed me that the origins of this kind of cake--Victory Cake--are from the World War I and World War II eras when butter, eggs, wheat, and sugar were in short supply. (Well, this one certainly uses plenty of its share of sugar and wheat.) Cool!
I remember making the wells in cakes when I baked with my grandmother, who easily could have started doing it during the war. The recipe I put up was one I riffed off from a crumpled recipe for a similar cake made from white flour and the like.

Given that I am currently obsessed with home activity during the Great Depression and World War II, I am absolutely thrilled to learn the history of this cake. Thanks, Amy!
2 comments:
"Given that I am currently obsessed with home activity during the Great Depression and World War II" -- that sounds really interesting to me too. I was totally in geek heaven when I rented the British series "1920s House" and "Victorian House" because I'm very interested in day to day life in the past. If you find any good modern books (aka. not a million dollar limited edition book) definitely post about it. I'm very interested!
I just recently tried the 'in the pan' version of cake using vinegar, and while the results were a great science experiment, the cake turned out pretty uneven... I think that recipe is from WWII. I just checked the Prairie Girls Guide to Life out of the library...
Post a Comment