Sunday, October 19, 2008



We had a lovely and interesting lunch today, served on our bento trays. We made miso soup with a vegetable-peelings stock (mostly tomatoes and apples) and added some julienned broccoli stems, pea shoots, and scallions. The snow peas are just steamed and the mushrooms are sauteed with mirin and sesame oil then sprinkled with chives. There are also some pickled radish shreds. The entree is asian rice with smoked sardines and soy sauce. For dessert we had some canned rambutans sprinkled with a few black sesame seeds. (Son and I use Singapore Math which constantly has word problems about rambutans, so we had to try them. They are very similar to lychees.)

Delicious--and the meal made us feel very special. I love the peace of eating a late lunch on the weekend!

3 comments:

Burbanmom said...

Seriously? That was lunch? For your KID? Wow.

Last Tuesday I gave mine a handful of rainbow goldfish and half a giant cookie. Not one of my better days, but, sadly, not my worst either.

The Purloined Letter said...

Ha! Yeah, I have a veggie-loving kid, and this was a special family lunch in our sukkah. Usually we're a lot less organized. I made three identical trays, which was too much for my son. So we packed up half his rice and fish, a few mushrooms, and a few snow peas--which were my lunch the next day...

JenPB said...

We've been trying to live out of our garden, too, but with travels this summer didn't do very well with garden maintenance. I hope to learn more and improving our garden. Meanwhile, we enjoyed a scrumptious dinner last night: blue lake beans sauteed with lots of garlic (oops); purple dragon carrots sautees to chips (oops again, but yummy mistake), baked potatoes and baked beets. Colorful, healthy and even tasty in spite of myself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails